I wouldn't normally blog about something other than Owen (he is my favorite subject), but financial freedom is my passion and I'm a little fired up after watching this film. Also, I am teaching a Crown Financial class at church and it started yesterday, so my mind is saturated with money and how to handle it.
"Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender." Proverbs 22:7
These words were written by King Solomon in the 10th century, B.C. but they certainly ring true today. Do you find yourself working simply to pay for things you bought with credit? Your paycheck is gone before it is even deposited! You are essentially an indentured servant to your stuff and creditors. How frustrating and exhausting-I know because I've experienced it firsthand. What I have also experienced is the freedom that comes when you are no longer a borrower. Oh, if I could bottle the feeling and sell it-everyone would grab their credit cards and buy a lot of it! Ha!
Seriously, my heart is so burdened to tell everyone that there is a better way to handle your finances than the way the world advertises or the way the government deals with money. Here's a list of a few tools that have been instrumental in shaping the way our family handles money:
Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving and Getting Out of Debt by Howard Dayton
Crown Financial Bible Study (10-week course)
Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey
More Than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny by Dave Ramsey
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey (This one is a personal favorite)
Financial Peace University (13-week course)
The Bible (which is the inspiration for the majority of information contained in the above resources)
I believe personal financial responsibility is important for two reasons. First, our government is obviously in a lot of debt, so we all need to be more careful so we can survive and thrive through the difficult times. Second, and most importantly, I believe the way we handle money has a direct impact on our fellowship with the Lord.
Jacob and I have been on a mission toward financial freedom for the past 3 years. There's nothing glamorous about a budget or living frugally, but the benefits are outstanding. Today we are free from car payments, credit card payments and student loan payments. Our only debt is our mortgage and we have a plan to pay it off early. I tell you all this because I want you to know it is possible to live differently than the majority of our society chooses to live. We've done it (and are still doing it) and would be happy-eager even-to share more about our experience with you.
Okay, I'll step down from my box now. Oh, and I'll add a picture of Owen to make up for my essay. ;)

7 comments:
What a great example you and Jacob are! Thanks for sharing all of this to help keep us accountable. And the picture of Owen holding money is too funny! Love you!
Laura
Thank you so much for the encouragement again! After moving to Springfield, I finally got a crappy data entry job through a temp agency. I've only worked 2 days and am ready to quit. A desk job is NOT for me! However, it's hard to consciously to not spend money everyday, even on the little things. I'm glad that I read this to remind me to "Live like no one else, so (I) can live like no one else"!
Proud of ya Sis and we love you bunches! We're not biased or anything, but we think Owen is stinkin' cute. And we're incredibly proud of the values he is being brought up with.
Thank you, Katy! We all need a little encouragement along the way! I am so grateful for the blessing I have in you! Love you-Kristin
I enjoyed my stop at your blog tonight. There are so many new and fun blogs that I am finding everyday. Hope you will stop by and see my new Christmas blog... http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com
There is a GREAT giveaway going on now for a Great Ornament Giveaway on Oct 1....all you have to do is leave a comment.....I love finding new blogs and make new blog friends.
You are a wonderful inspiration for us all. I am proud of the responsible adult you are, but I for one, am not suprised because you were a responsible child.
I am glad you listened to my advice about money instead of following my example. I would say this in light of your comments about debt-there are some things that I would go deep in debt for and not give it a second thought. The safety, health and wellbeing of any of my family members. To be a true Christian (by my definition)I would have to extend those same feelings to all of mankind. Not an easy thing to do. Love Dad
ps We are following Katy and Jacob's example and hope to debt free sometime before we die.:)
Katy, as a friend of your mom's, I read your blog often to keep up with Owen. I'm proud to see that you are striving to be dept-free. My husband and I have NEVER had a "general" credit card--just ones from Best Buy and JCPenney, which we pay off each month-IF we use them. It is a good feeling not to be in debt. I, too, am a Christian, and love reading your views on this. Thanks.
Post a Comment