Thursday, December 3, 2009

Disobedience and Discipline

Owen and I have had quite a day today.

This morning we met some of our buddies at the library where we enjoyed a performance by Brian and Terri Kinder of Kindersongs. It was so fun and Owen was captivated for a good bit of the program. He even danced and tried to snap along with the music. After the singing was over, we went to look at the books. There we encountered another two-year old who was more rambunctious than any little boys I know. Everything seemed to be okay until the little boy, unprovoked, reared his hand back and SLAPPED Owen in the face. Owen proceeded to cry-both from the shock and pain of the ordeal-and I quickly scooped him up in an effort to comfort him. The little boy's caretaker quickly emerged, brought him over to Owen and said, "Say 'I sorry, I didn't mean to hit you.'" Um, excuse me. He most certainly did mean to hit my son. I saw it all with my own eyes (she had not seen it). Anyway, she then let the little boy down and he went barreling straight for Jake whom he tackled to the ground. Same reaction from the caretaker. He didn't mean to do that. YES, he did. She then let this little boy continue to play. We didn't see any form of discipline. There were no consequences for this little boy's actions. Apparently, there never have been. Anyway, I tell this story not to slam the parenting skills of another. I tell this story because I am currently dealing with my own little disobedient two-year old and disciplining him is not easy.

I love Owen and really would much prefer to smother him with hugs and kisses and tell him he's my favorite little boy in the whole world all day, every day, but discipline is necessary and another way to show Owen I love him. My heart's desire is to keep Owen safe and healthy, so anything I ask/tell him to do serves one of those purposes. Unfortunately, he's two and doesn't understand that concept. I am, however, determined that Owen will not be like the little boy we encountered this morning-endangering the safety of himself and others. So, if that means Owen and I have some tough moments in my attempts to mold him into a child who will listen and obey, then I can handle that.

All this got me thinking about my heavenly Father and how He desires the same thing from me-obedience. Not because He is bigger and stronger and wants to tell me what to do, but because He loves me and wants what is best for me. Oftentimes, I am the disobedient two-year old. That's a humbling thought. It makes me appreciate the times He has disciplined me and gives me strength to face the task of raising a child.

It is AMAZING how much having a child can deepen your faith.

3 comments:

Emily Blackwell said...

I miss you...and I'm not so excited about the days of discipline. I'm relishing these times of only hugs and kisses and telling her she's the most perfect little girl ever born. I am fully confident that you and Jacob are giving Owen a beautiful picture of how God loves us!

The Haywoods said...

Good application to a bad situation. I would have wanted to snatch that other kid up!

Anonymous said...

I will discipline him for you mum, he goes over my knee, I take off his pants and his nappy, gently spank his bum, my finger goes In his bum crack and genty penetrates his hole until his little sphincter gives, I unzip my pants and pull my c--k out, put it in his mouth and get him to suck it while my finger works his tight little boip--sy, get that hole ready so he can take a c--k soon,