I have spent the majority of my summers on the shores of Lake Superior. My parents grew up in small towns in northern Minnesota and most of my extended family still lives there, so I feel a little like it's my second home. I can't explain the feeling I get when I am back there. Comfort. Calm. Familiar. It's refreshing and relaxing and I yearn for time by the Lake. It has been my joy to share this special place with Jacob and my children.
My grandfather's memorial service was at the end of June in Grand Marais, MN, so my dad's entire family gathered for the occasion. When we weren't spending time with my family, Jacob, the kids and I were exploring a few of my favorite places. On this particular day we ventured out to Artist Point. It's a piece of land that juts out into Lake Superior and when you reach the point, you see an impressive panoramic of East Bay (my favorite place) and the shoreline winding up to Grand Marais.
It was a tricky little hike out to the point, but Owen and Olivia thoroughly enjoyed playing in the little wading pools left behind by big Lake waves. Owen slipped on some algae while walking into one of them and ended up a little damper than he likes to be, so we stripped him down in an attempt to dry his clothes. We were also able to watch the Hjordis (a sailboat) as it was journeying on the water. It kind of looks like a pirate ship, so Owen loved watching it.
Olivia is our little dare devil and would have walked right out into the water if it weren't freezing cold (well, it's like 34 degrees). It was a fun little family adventure on a beautiful day on the North Shore...doesn't get much better than that!
My grandfather's memorial service was at the end of June in Grand Marais, MN, so my dad's entire family gathered for the occasion. When we weren't spending time with my family, Jacob, the kids and I were exploring a few of my favorite places. On this particular day we ventured out to Artist Point. It's a piece of land that juts out into Lake Superior and when you reach the point, you see an impressive panoramic of East Bay (my favorite place) and the shoreline winding up to Grand Marais.
It was a tricky little hike out to the point, but Owen and Olivia thoroughly enjoyed playing in the little wading pools left behind by big Lake waves. Owen slipped on some algae while walking into one of them and ended up a little damper than he likes to be, so we stripped him down in an attempt to dry his clothes. We were also able to watch the Hjordis (a sailboat) as it was journeying on the water. It kind of looks like a pirate ship, so Owen loved watching it.
Olivia is our little dare devil and would have walked right out into the water if it weren't freezing cold (well, it's like 34 degrees). It was a fun little family adventure on a beautiful day on the North Shore...doesn't get much better than that!


2 comments:
Absolutely beautiful pictures! Wow, I failed to put it together yesterday that you had only been home for a week, and to think you had a spotless house :) I think I've sold Kevin on the whole idea!
Love the pics! I am glad that you are back to blogging :) I was wondering where you guys were!
Post a Comment