Thursday, May 6, 2010

The First Four Days

I'm four days into my first week as a stay-at-home mom of two children. Overall, it's been a good week. We have all had to make some adjustments, but I think we're settling into our new set-up pretty well. Monday was great, Tuesday and Wednesday were good except Owen refused to nap which means no nap for mom, either. You always hear people say "Sleep when the baby sleeps, " but you can't do that when you have a toddler at home. However, Olivia and I have been sleeping pretty well, so I haven't been a walking zombie-mom or anything. Even though we are doing well I have decided to enact the "One Grand-a-Week" program meaning I'm inviting one grandparent to come down one day each week and shower Owen with some undivided attention. I know he will love that and it will give me a chance to focus on this sweet girl for a day. Owen and I are able to get some good quality time in when Olivia is sleeping, but I'm nursing her which requires some special QT time for her and Owen isn't always thrilled with sharing his mama. Anyway, the grands are excited and so am I!

Here's a rundown of what we've been doing today.

We went for a walk to see the men working on a road in a new subdivision a few blocks from our house. We then meandered back home and by "meandered" I mean walked really slowly. You see, Owen never leaves home without a truck and some type of heavy equipment. He's always prepared for a good pile of dirt and there were many such piles on the way home. In the above picture, Owen is scooping dirt and happy as a...boy playing in dirt.

After our walk (which lasted an hour and a half...did I mention the many piles of dirt), we headed to the park. We've been there 3 out of the last 4 days. Owen has impressed me with his climbing skills. This little ladder in the picture above makes me nervous because there are big, gaping holes perfect for allowing a small child to slip through. I hovered the first few times, but I don't want to be the mom hovering over her kid at the playground, so I backed off. He is a pro-he doesn't need me repeatedly telling him to "Be careful, Owen." It's fun to watch your "baby" grow up and master skills-a little nerve-wracking, but so fun.

Okay, this was a little too much for this hover-er. Fortunately, he decided on his own that head first may not be all that fun. *Sigh*

Much better.
No trip to the emergency room today.

If you are wondering what Olivia did while we were walking forever and playing at the park, here it is. She was sleeping. It's a good thing she's okay with being toted around a little. Isn't she cute in her flower headband? It's so funny to haul Owen around to see trucks and tractors and watch him practically roll around in sand and dirt and then look at this tiny girl with the pink flower in her hair. Yesterday, Owen had sand stuck to his cheek-really. He literally put his face in the sand and then left it there as if it was a facial treatment. Boys...but, I figure it won't be long before Olivia grabs a truck and gives herself a sand facial, too. I'll enjoy the flower headband while I can. :)

I think Owen is actually napping, so this mama is running for the shower and bed!

No comments: