Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Here's the Story

When I started brainstorming new names for our blog, well, I couldn't think of any. I wanted a clever and meaningful title that would be more about our family and less about our sweet firstborn since we will soon be welcoming Miss Olivia. I'm not sure I accomplished the clever, but I did eventually settle on a new blog name that is very meaningful to me. Every Day is a Journal Page is a line in a Chris Rice song called "Life Means So Much." Jacob introduced me to Chris Rice when we started dating and his songs offer unique perspectives that can cause some serious introspection. This is one of those songs. If you would like to listen, I've included a link below.

Anyway, the song encourages us to examine the way we spend our time. This has been a real lesson I've been learning, well, forever, but especially since becoming a stay-at-home mom. I'm not a great time manager and sometimes the daily grind of running a home, keeping up with a toddler and just living can be exhausting, frustrating and mind-numbing. The message of this song is precious to me. In one part of the song, Chris Rice compares the hours in a day to money-we each get 24 hours in our bank account. I love that. It really puts things into perspective. Life happens and we all feel overwhelmed at times, but when we really think about it, we all have the exact same amount of time each day. The way we choose to spend our time is the important thing. This is such a sweet reminder to me of why I chose to be a stay-at-home mom and why even the mundane tasks of my days need to be cherished and performed with joy and purpose. I am not guaranteed tomorrow, so I need to earnestly make each day count. I need to become a diligent steward of the time God has given me and make sure my priorities line up with His. I have a LONG way to go on this front, but hopefully my new blog title will encourage me to truly treat each day as a special gift...a fresh page in my journal.



3 comments:

the.feeblefutts said...

I haven't heard the song before, but I love it already. Thank you for the challenge to live a life of purpose... even in the little stuff. Love you!

Margaret's Blog said...

Love it- love it- love it!! The song is a great reminder of how we are all rich in each minute given us, so this will be my reminder to use every one with joy and purpose. You are so wise and I am so proud. I will continue to read your journal pages and be blessed by your photos, stories, and humor- highlights of many days for me! I love you all.

Beth said...

I love your new look!