Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Our Everyday

Today has been one of those quiet, lazy days at home. One advantage of being a stay-at-home-mom is, well, getting to stay home! I'm not a big believer in filling every spare moment with activity. We usually have an excursion or two a week, but nothing too thrilling. We like it this way. Here's a few pictures to let you know what our 'everydays' look like.

My sweet boy playing late in the morning still wearing his pajamas.
He's comfy and content.

The couch is Owen's "road" and it is typically filled with trucks, tractors and trailers. Don't even think about sitting on it because he will promptly (and not very nicely) tell you to "Get off road!" He hauls around batteries (hay bales), crayons (logs/trees), blocks, socks (animal food) and pretty much anything else that will fit in his trailers. He will play on the couch all morning-not kidding.

Here's a photo of what my living room would look like if you rang my doorbell unexpectedly. There's a half-eaten muffin and juice on the coffee table, toys and blocks everywhere, blankets from Owen's bed on the floor and laundry and shoes in the hallway. I love this picture because it's real-it's what our real life looks like every single day.

A leader in a women's Bible study once told all of us mom's with young children to remember that we were raising a family, not a house. She said there would be plenty of time to have a spotless home when our kids were grown and gone. Now, let me tell you, I am not a neat freak-a little mess has NEVER bothered me. I do prefer things clean, but it hasn't been too difficult to let those wise words sink in and create a new attitude concerning the state of my house. I'm thankful I have a little boy who makes messes for me to clean up. So, so thankful...

4 comments:

Dania Efird said...

When I first started staying home, I had to convince Brent that I was staying home to be with our kids, not so my house would be perfectly clean all the time! He finally realizes this! Now, if I could just clean some of the times...

Lauren said...

got flowers the other day from my husband as the result of a none-too-calm discussion involving the cleaning of our house vs. the raising of our child. I told him I'd need a raise to pay for help if the house was going to be spotless, and reminded him if he were paying me for what I currently did, he could never afford it! Then I, none too graciously, listed off all the things I HAD cleaned that month. Then I cried. =) It's been one of those months. Thanks for the reminder. I tend towards the neat freak status, but if you saw our house right now, you'd never believe that

Larry and Bethany Walker said...

thanks for such a sweet reminder. I struggle with this everyday! Trying to balance precious time with Carson and still have a home that is livable (if that is even a word- haha!) I appreciate your perspective and the advice you were given!

Amanda said...

It is so interesting to see what little boys do for fun. We have baby blankets, babies, and play food spread all over our house on a typical day. Makayla has a school bus but not a single truck. LOL!