Owen has been in his crib for 2+ years without ever successfully escaping (I don't even think he ever tried very hard). We would put him in his crib with some toys, he would happily play a little, sleep for 11-12 hours, wake up and play a little more, then yell for someone to retrieve him. We decided we would leave Owen in his crib as long as possible because it's been a wonderfully reliable routine-if it's not broken, don't fix it, right? Well, on Monday, one week after the addition of Olivia to our home, Owen escaped. So, we transitioned to the toddler bed which has no rails and no way of keeping our curious toddler sufficiently contained. It's been interesting. Some nights he's gone to bed quickly and easily...other nights, not so much. Nap time is the same story. Well, this morning we had a whole new surprise. We woke up to find Owen sleeping in our floor at the foot of our bed. He had even closed our door behind him. When he woke up I asked Owen why he had come into our room and reminded him he was supposed to stay in his room. He quickly changed the subject and asked about his baby sister. Clever boy.
Owen escapes.All that to say, life as we know it has certainly changed. We'll get things figured out, but we've all been thrown for a loop and things definitely aren't going to follow the plan I thought I had. Ahh, parenting...the quickest way to mellow you. You can either learn to adapt or go crazy...right now I'm leaning toward adapting, but check back once all my help leaves!


2 comments:
Hmm, yeah. I'm going to need to know how you work all this out. I'm pretty sure that's when Spencer will decide to do away with any constant in his life. A week into life with a new newborn.
I am much more mellow than I was before I was a parent. But, I'm even more mellow while I'm nursing...those hormones are like magic. I was just so laid back. I loved being that way. I felt so "nice."
Paxton's been out of his crib a while now. He's sleeping in a toddler bed too. We used to shut his door at night but a couple of weeks ago he learned to open it! We've had to lock it a couple of times to keep him in his room until he's asleep then we unlock it! It is pretty sweet though when I hear his little feet running across the floors early in the morning to come snuggle with me for a little bit before time to get up!
Post a Comment