My sister-in-law told me my blog was going downhill...I have to agree! Between the internet hiatus and our out of town trip this weekend to visit family, posts have gotten pretty sparse. Unfortunately, this post will not be picture heavy, but it will chronicle the activities of our weekend.
Here's the shortened version-highlights only: We caught fireflies in a mason jar. Owen and I went swimming at Nana's house-so fun! Owen ate his first snow cone-it was rainbow flavored. Owen baled hay. If you want details, read on. If you should be doing something besides reading this blog (like laundry), skip down to the bottom for a picture.
On Thursday night we arrived at the farm (Jacob's mom and dad's house) and were greeted by the blinking lights of hundreds of fireflies! We took Owen out into the yard, grabbed a mason jar and caught a couple lightning bugs. We then admired a chubby toad or two before we retired for the evening. Ahh, the simple joys of a summer evening!
Jacob enjoyed an extra long weekend because he did not have to work on Friday. We spent most of the day at the farm, but made a trip into town to enjoy some pancakes with Grandpa Bruce, Meme and Papa at IHOP. Owen loves pancakes and syrup (who doesn't)! Friday night we went to the visitation for my Uncle Raymond who had passed away earlier in the week.
On Saturday, Jacob, Olivia and I attended the funeral services for my Uncle. It was such a nice service celebrating the life of a man who loved his family and friends, worked hard, lived simply and believed in God. Later Saturday afternoon, we picked up Owen and headed to Nana's house to visit with my step-brother and his family. Olivia napped while Owen and I went swimming. The water was perfect and I could not resist! The last couple summers, Owen has not been too thrilled with the water, but I think he'll turn into a little fish soon. I managed to coax him off the steps and he even jumped to me a few times from the edge of the pool-that's serious progress! We left Nana's house in search of snow cones. Owen thoroughly enjoyed his rainbow flavored snow cone. Within minutes in the warm summer air, Owen's "cone" had melted into a brownish purple slush, but it still tasted like the rainbow apparently and was enjoyed through a straw. Ahh, the simple tastes of a summer evening!
Sunday evening we had a cookout for all the "grands" at Meme and Papa's house. Owen gave tours of the farm and Olivia allowed everyone to hold and kiss her.
Monday was a big day for Owen. His Uncle BJ was baling hay, so Meme and Papa took Owen out to their farm to watch the process. Jacob's cousin Charlie took Owen in one of the tractors and let him bale hay! I think they let him sit on top of the bale, but I didn't send a camera so you will just have to imagine a little boy grinning from ear to ear sitting on a hay bale. I'm pretty sure Owen would have stayed and watched ALL day if we had not needed to get home.
It was a fun filled weekend, but we are all worn out! Owen, Olivia and I are having a lazy day at home today in an effort to recover.
Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!


5 comments:
hehe... I deleted my first comment because I put "your" niece and nephew instead of "my" niece and nephew. Oops! I should probably proof read before I post. Anyway,
I love your blog and your updates. It could never go downhill! The updates are a little slower in coming now, but that's totally understandable!
Love ya!
I am in full agreement with Amberly...always love a Hill post! I thoroughly enjoyed imagining Owen on the bale of hay and thought it was fun to place it next to the picture in my mind of Adelle being grossed out by the sand at the beach and enjoy the stark comparison of both their personalities and their geographical locations! I miss you.
While imagining Owen on the hay bale, I want to add that he had on his John Deere boots and little JD tractor in his hands, smiling, and listening to everything that was said about the process of raking and baling hay. It's a direct love line from his great-grandaddy Bill McAlister. I'm sure he is smiling, too...
Your posts are a gift to enjoy again and again! It is fun to imagine Owen with the fireflies and think of my own childhood as well as yours and Joe's when that was a sign of summer...such simple pleasures that move across time and location. I have that picture of Owen on the hay bale in my head, enhanced by Karen's description, and Olivia is the most kissed baby I know! By the way, Katy looked skinny as ever in her swimsuit :-)
Post a Comment